Wednesday, September 11, 2013

A hero...

A hero is an ordinary individual who finds the strength to persevere and endure in spite of overwhelming obstacles.  - Christopher Reeve

I mention the word "hero" because today is 9/11.  Even twelve years later, there are no words really to describe the devastation that happened.  While I know no one that was directly involved, I still remember that day well.  It was the first week I worked at home for my husband's company.  I was the secretary at a middle school and left because my father-in-law (who owned the company) passed away that May and it was just too hard for my husband to handle all of the day to day operations without any help.  He was constantly interrupting me at work with questions or little things to do (make out a deposit, etc.) so we decided it would be best for me to be around all of the time.  We had an extra room upstairs that I intended to be used as a guest room, but converted it into a home office.  I was in that office watching the Today Show while on the phone with a company out of Virginia that handled our fuel tax reports when they started reporting on the first plane crashing into one of the Twin Towers.  We talked about how bizarre it was for that to happen.  We were still discussing it when the second plane hit the other tower.  I can't describe the feeling of shock that came over me.  I never, in a million years, would have thought I'd live through our country being attacked.  I always felt secure in the knowledge that it would never happen.  I couldn't have been more wrong, could I?  My first instinct was to go get my kids out of school and bring them home.  But then I thought, why?  I didn't want to be one of "those" parents who freak out about anything.  After school was over, my daughter had a softball game an hour away.  I was really surprised it wasn't cancelled, nor was my son's football practice.  It was just a typical day of us parents splitting up and going in two different directions.  After the game ended I remember trying to call my husband to see what we were going to do for supper, but could not get in touch with him - all cell towers were overwhelmed.  Watching the coverage of the attacks and seeing the fear on everyone's faces fleeing the dust and debris - just running to a safe place.  Watching the rescue and recovery just drilled into me what a true hero is.  He is someone's husband, father, son, brother, uncle, friend who goes UP the stairwell to help a stranger while everyone else is going DOWN to safety.  He is someone who doesn't go home until everyone else is taken to safety.  He is someone who stays and goes through the debris days/weeks/months later, knowing that whatever he finds isn't going to be good.  But he does it anyway.  That to me is a true hero.  One who does it anyway.

Sorry for the long post - it's just one of those days, I guess.  In case you can't tell, it is a hero workout today.  Brand X calls it "the Don", in honor of US Marine Corporal Donald M. Marler.  HIIT Mamas is doing it in honor of our 9/11 heroes.  Whatever hero you choose to do it in honor of, just do it!

66 - Deadlifts w/60#
     - Box Jumps, 18"
     - Kettle bell swings w/20#
     - Knees to elbows
     - Sit ups
     - Push ups
     - Thrusters w/20#
     - Wall ball shots w/10#
     - Burpees
     - Double unders

I do know I will modify the following way:
   Deadlifts w/50#
   Wall ball w/4#
   Tuck jumps instead of double unders

I do not plan to split this up into "rounds", but instead I will do as many of each exercise until I have to stop to rest, then I'll write down the rep number I'm at and move on to the next exercise, going through the exercises until I reach 66 reps for all.  I'm sure I'll be pushing myself, but that's the least I can do, right?
*************************
68:19 - I don't need to say it, but...that was TOUGH!  I hate, hate, HATE burpees!  OMG - those get me every time!  Box jumps used to be my downfall, but they are nothing compared to burpees!!  Wow - so sweaty!  My sports bra was soaked, I could feel sweat dripping down my back, it was dripping into my eyes - even my pants were sticking to my legs!  SO proud I finished - this definitely turned into a "just get it done" kind of workout.  I was not even looking at the timer after I hit 27:00 minutes.  I barely crawled to it after that last burpee - and yes...I said crawled.  I only made it to my knees on that last one!  SO exhausted!!  Here's a breakdown of how I did things:

66 Dead-lifts w/50# dumbbells - 37, 29
66 Box Jumps, 12" - 23, 43
66 Kettle-bell swings, 25# dumbbell - 30, 36
66 Knees to Elbows - 22, 23, 21
66 Sit-ups - 66 :)
66 Push-ups (all modified, on knees) - 34, 32
66 Thrusters, 24# dumbbells - 25, 41
66 Wall Ball shots w/4# ball - 66 :)
66 Burpees - 28, 18, 20
66 Double-unders *subbed 2x singles* 132 Jump-rope - 90, 42

Thank you to all of our heroes and their families!  Words of gratitude just aren't enough, are they?


1 comment:

  1. Well said Berta... It was a shocking day for us in Canada as well and impossible to forget

    ReplyDelete