Thursday, July 11, 2013

I like wallballs best when you are really tired...

I like wallballs best when you are really tired, and the ball punches you in the face!  Umm....actually...no.  No, I don't like it when wallballs punch you in the face!  lol - Believe it or not, that is actually one thing that has NOT happened to me while working out!!

I really was beginning to think I was over this whole being sore thing, but apparently NOT!  Oh my goodness...I ached, tossed, and turned all night.  I should have just got up and taken an aspirin, but I really didn't want to open my eyes!  I don't think the soreness was from running, but from squats - just going by where I was hurting.  It would be my butt (glutes), then it would be the area just below my hip flexors, then it would be my thighs.  I feel like I just turned over and stretched out a different part of my lower body all night long.  It's not too bad this morning, but my word - it kept waking me up!

So, I read an article the other day about how the Army is changing it's rules so that everyone has to pass their fitness test, including those who are going to college on a scholarship.  Apparently people are getting their scholarships but then they can't serve in the Army because they are too fat and can't pass the test and the Army feels like they're wasting their money.  So, I looked up their fitness tests.  They have one for women and one for men and it shows how many push-ups and sit-ups you must be able to complete in 2 minutes, as well as how quickly you should be able to do a 2-mile run, all sorted by age.  The minimum score you must have to pass is a 60.  Why am I mentioning this, you ask?  Well, that's my goal - to be Army fit.  Yeah, kind of crazy I know.  And when I say Army fit, I'm talking the minimum score of 60.  I'd love to surpass that, but I'm going to start with that.  Do you think I can do this in 6 months - by the end of 2013?  That's what I'm gonna give myself.  I believe the running part will be the hardest (duh!), and I haven't been able to find out if push-ups are what I call "boy" push-ups or if girls get to do the modified version.  I'm going with the modified version for my goal, but do plan on working on the "boy" version as well.  Anyway, for my age group (47-51) you have to be able to complete:  
     Push-ups in 2 minutes - 10, minimum to score 60
                                        - 34, to score 100
     Sit-ups in 2 minutes - 30, minimum to score 60
                                     - 66 to score 100
     2-mile run - completed in 24 minutes, minimum to score 60
                      - completed in 17:36, to score 100
Looking at the push-ups numbers, I'm going to assume they are the "boy" version, so maybe I should just go ahead and work on them that way.  Yep...that's what I'm going to do.  Anyway, if any of you want to look at the standards for your age group, or at the one for men, here's the link:

CaliFit Mamas:
   (from yesterday)
   7 Rounds for time
      5 Knees-to-elbows
      10 Wall ball shots, 10 lb ball
      15 Kettlebell swings, 20 lb
      20 Jump rope

Brand X:
   CrossFit Total
      Back squat
      Shoulder press
      Deadlift

White Head:
    3 Rounds for time
      15 Push press
      15 Box jumps
      15 Toes to bar

Today's CaliFit Mamas workout involves 100 meter sprints, which (supposedly, according to comments from doing this in a previous workout) you can't do on a treadmill - so I'm not even going to post that.  I mentioned yesterday that their workout looked fun, so I'm going to do it today.  I got this!
******************************
16:00 - I set a personal goal of 20 minutes, so I'm happy with 16, however, I really wanted it to be in the 15 minute range!  That last round sucked donkey butt...big time!!  Good news - I was able to jump 14 times without tripping!  YAY me!!  :)  Ahhh....the little things.  ;)  AND my knees-to-elbows were still knees-to-boobs, but upper boobs (not lower boobs)!  VERY happy with that!!  And, why is it they seem easier when you only have to do 5?  I was was able to do everything without stopping, except jump rope and that wasn't by choice (stupid rope).  I cannot believe how quickly that got my heart rate going and kept it up the entire time.  I love (and hate) workouts that look so easy, but are kind of tough, don't you?

Wall ball shots with 4 lb ball - I really need a heavier one.
Kettlebell swings with 25 lb dumbbell - I was really feeling it by the 7th round!

My thighs are still pretty sore - they haven't been this sore in a long time.  Silly me didn't think about the squat movement that's involved with wall ball shots and kettlebell swings!  My thighs reminded me pretty damn quick, though!!  Great workout!!

Workout song of the day:  Fight Song by Methods of Mayhem


   

No comments:

Post a Comment