Wednesday, February 13, 2013


Keep calm and kick ass...now that's a nice motto to have!  I believe I'm starting to sound a little repetetive on my blogs...not much going on here other than working out and trying to improve things on my end.  I know I sound narcissistic sometimes regarding my "awesomeness" (lol), but it's how I feel and that is the whole purpose for me and my blog - to get my thoughts down regarding working out and being honest.  I can't help it if I love myself!  (lol, again!)  ;)

I have decided to up my run/walk combo thing.  I will now do 9/9, 7/7, 5/5, 3/3, 1/1 segments.  So....we'll see how THAT goes!  Y'all wish me luck and if you don't hear from me later, please be sure to alert the authorities 'cause chances are I'll be passed out on my treadmill!!

Today's workout is 2 rounds of:
   100 Jump rope
   50 Shoulder to overhead (push presses), 20 lbs
   25 Knees to elbows

I will start out using my jump rope, but if it becomes an issue of me tripping a lot, I'll just go through the motions instead.  I'm beginning to wonder if I'll ever be able to jump rope!  I'm also going to do one round of knees to elbows on the floor and one round on the bar.  The last time I did them, I did them on the floor and could really feel my abs - that's a good thing, right?  I know I need to improve on the bar, so I'll start with it for the first round.

Today's Fab Ab is 45 situps, 10 pushups, and a 35-second plank.  I was so excited to make it to 40 situps yesterday without stopping.  Progress!!
******************************
WOW, oh WOW!  It is DEFINITELY going to be a 2-aspirin kind of night!!  I don't think I picked a good day to change my run/walk combo thing!  But...I did, and I don't think I like it.  :/

9/9, 7/7, 5/5, 3/3, 1/1 - run/walk on my treadmill.  All running at 5.0 speed and all walking at 3.5 speed.  It took me 11:32, for a distance of .783/mile.  I must admit I was surprised to not be sucking wind during my 9 block run, but I patted myself on the back too soon because I WAS sucking wind on the 7 block run!  lol  The other ones were okay, but boy did I wish it was over long before it was!!  Oh well...you gotta start somewhere.

I completely cooled down from my treadmill experiment before starting today's workout. My CrossFit time was 17:25.  Round 1 took me 8:19, but I rested for a full minute before starting round 2.   I took Jen's suggestion and kicked off my shoes for the jump rope, and guess what?  It seemed to help!  I even did 24 jumps in a row without tripping.  It was shocking - I've never jumped that much without tripping.  Thanks for the suggestion, Jen!

I was glad to do the shoulder to overhead exercise - it helped improve my time.  I used 24 lbs. (2 12-lb dumbbells) and am so surprised at how much weaker my left arm is!  The first round was easy, breezy - second round?  Not so much.  I made it to 25, then had to bring my arms down.  Started back up and went to 35 before pausing, then 45, then 50.  And let me tell you...the last 2 were the hardest for my left arm.  It was SO squiggly!!

I did all knees-to-elbows on the bar, but they were knees to somewhere between my hips and my boobs for the first round and knees to just above my hips for the second round.

I have to say, I really did not want to do my Fab Ab workout, but forced myself to do it anyway.  I made it to 20 before resting (I'm blaming it on the knees-to-elbows!), then all the way to 45.  The 10 pushups were okay, but my right arm was starting to ache - I'm thinking from the bar work.  I really need to get a support band for it - time to research!  My plank was extremely wobbly today and I was staring at the timer the whole time, trying to make it get to zero telepathically.  It didn't work.

I really hope tomorrow is a fairly easy day.  Of course, that's just "tired/exhausted" me talking.  I'll be okay.  OH!  Yes!  I did stay calm and I most definitely kicked some ass today!!  :)

5 comments:

  1. Berta don't feel bad I SUCK at rope jumping! I continue to do it in hopes ill get better but I'm not so sure! lol I'm thinking I need a longer rope! or that is my excuse for now! keep trying! keep calm and kick ass! enjoy the wod today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Berta, you've inspired me to get back into CrossFit Mamas! I've been doing the workouts since about October last year, but haven't done anything for about a week. I'm in Australia and it's been incredibly hot here, like 41 degrees for the last 5 days, so that's been my excuse - but tomorrow I'm back into it. Thanks for the inspiration. Cathy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Cathy! I know I complain sometimes (okay, a lot) but I LOVE CrossFit! Gina - it's nice to know I'm not the only Mama that has issues with the jump rope! My excuse is I think mine is too long. I tried tying it up some, but not sure I have it right...well, obviously NOT! :)

    I'm so glad I found this group - everyone keeps me going! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's because Gina is so tall, she makes me feel pretty shrimpy...lol
    I'll give her props, she did them today with no sneakers and rocked em out! Maybe you could give that a try?
    Good luck, today felt kinda easy, compared to others! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I should try that. I've discovered it's easier to do jumping jacks without shoes on, so maybe it works just as well with jumprope!

    ReplyDelete